Oversized Pillowcase Tutorial

OPCMain2013

Hello! Today, I am finally sharing with you my oversized pillowcase tutorial. I say finally because I somehow kept overlooking it when I was working on photos. Totally went over my head. Up until I made this pillowcase, I have had a plain white lace trimmed sham on my pillow. And since I have this new bed set, it looks very strange. The sheets and pillowcases are a pale yellow, but the white sham makes them look dirty!

IMG_1172

So, I set about to fix the problem. The bed set came with the standard two pillow shams.

IMG_1173

Oh yeah, and here’s another view of the white sham:

IMG_1174

On to the new case! I picked apart the seams on the sides and bottom of one sham. This took FOREVER, it seemed. I had to rip through two sets of stitches, which I wasn’t expecting. The last sham I took apart had one set of stitches and I was done!

IMG_1175

Then, I laid it on top of the old sham to figure out how much of the second sham I would need. Just as I thought, I only needed one more panel!

IMG_1178

I marked the section from the side with the interfacing since it was see-through, and for obvious reasons I couldn’t just unpick the stitches from this side. More seam ripping!

IMG_1180

The section is free! I opened it up and smoothed it a little. A very little….Then I pinned it along the green edge of the other sham and stitched it together!

IMG_1182

I matched up the edges as best as I could, and pinned the WHOLE thing together, RST.

IMG_1185

Since I left the original opening alone, it ended up in almost the exact same location as on the old pillowcase. All I had to do after stitching was turn it and iron it! I shoved my pillow back in and I was finished! Super easy, right?

IMG_1186

Thanks for reading as always!

signature

Advertisements

Budget Window Seat Cushion Tutorial

I blogged about this lovely thrifted fabric on {Inside Natasha’s Head} a while back, it seems, and I finally got it made into a cute cushion for my long-neglected window seat! I started by measuring the width and length of my window seat. Mine was 77 ½ inches long and 17 inches wide, so I cut my fabric to 78 inches by 17 ½ inches, adding a half inch seam allowance.

IMG_0889

I then pinned the fabric all the way around, leaving about a 3 inch opening on one end (marked with double pins) for turning and stuffing later. I rolled up all of the fabric so it would be easier to maneuver when I got to the machine. I did a regular straight stitch using white thread and clipped my corners once I got done.

IMG_0890IMG_0891

I put the entire mass over my arm and pulled at a corner to begin turning the cushion. I poked the bottom corners out with the flat end of my knitting needle and after turning the rest, I pushed out the top corners.

IMG_0892

To double check the sizing, I laid the newly sewn cushion on the window seat. Looks good to me! See all the paint supplies on the floor waiting to be moved to the garage? Whoops, there’s cans of paint over there too.

IMG_0893

I grabbed polyfil, and I snapped a picture of polyfil, but I didn’t really use it. I mean, I did, but I didn’t go out and buy the big box to fill the entire cushion, and I CERTAINLY was not buying foam! I’m a college student on a budget; I used oops paint for my walls because it was cheaper! *off my soapbox* I grabbed an old comforter out of the linen closet and folded it into a long tubular shape. I fed this into the cushion (sounds so creepy, and it looked like a long snake – I hate snakes!), and used the polyfil along the front edge to firm it up a bit. Nobody’s going to see the back edge, so I didn’t fuss with it.

IMG_0894

Voila! My budget cushion is finished! I did flatten the lumps out , but I didn’t take a new picture, because I managed to throw a bunch of stuff (read: junk) on the windowseat, so it is a mess at the moment.

     IMG_0895

Thanks so much for reading and come back soon!

signature