DIY File Cabinet Makeover


My ugly old file cabinet FINALLY got what it deserved! I mean, I really shouldn’t complain about how it looked. My old cabinet was a dark “wood” color and there was a chunk missing out of the top. Talk about tacky.

Here’s my cabinet, before taking anything off or out of it. See the stickers that I attempted to remove with little success?


Everything that was in the cabinet got dumped into this bag, and then I stacked some of it on the floor to sort through later. I also went ahead and removed the hardware. I couldn’t remember where I saw how to remove the lock, so I gave up after a few tries so I wouldn’t break it or damage the drawer it was on.

IMG_1069 IMG_1071

And here’s the cabinet, freshly sanded and cleaned.


After spraying on the two coats of chalkboard spray paint (1 hour in between coats), it looked like this:


After 24 hours, I rubbed the sides and top with a piece of chalk and dusted it off.


Then, I opened up the garage and, using some Target $1 wrapping paper and spray adhesive, I covered the front of the cabinet. I used my screwdriver to punch the holes for the hardware through the paper. Then, I sealed everything with a coat of clear enamel.

Β IMG_1089

Here’sΒ the cabinet after reattaching the hardware. After all this was done, I decided to paper the pink trim as well. It looked more cohesive that way.

tΒ IMG_1090

The finished cabinet, in my room.


The hardest part of this whole project was deciding what to write on it first! I decided on a variation of “Keep Calm” and “Welcome to the ChalkZone”, in honor of one of my favorite shows as a kid!

IMG_1124Β IMG_1125

Thanks so much for stopping by!